Please find below the learning for the week commencing 25th January 2021
This term we will be learning all about Titanic and her maiden voyage. We will be looking at newspaper reports and how to write them and by the end of the term you will be writing your own newspaper report (recount) of an event either real or fictional.
1. Today we will be looking at witness statements in newspaper reports and how they are used to give information to the reader. You will then practise writing witness statements using pictures as inspiration. See activity sheet 1
2. Today you will be given a disaster scenario (a bus crash) and begin to plan your own newspaper report about the tragedy. You will use the 5 Ws to help you come up with ideas / facts. (who, where, what, why and when.) See activity sheet 2
3. Today we will be editing and up levelling some sentences taken from newspaper reports. The sentences lack detail and have incorrect punctuation. How can each sentence be improved? See activity sheet 3
4. Today we will be writing up our newspaper report about the bus crash disaster in best, using neat cursive handwriting. See activity sheet 4.
5. Log on to Letter-join and practise your handwriting formation daily. Make sure your letters are the same size and that ascenders are tall and descenders hang below the line. https://www.letterjoin.co.uk/(https://www.letterjoin.co.uk/)
Each week we will be looking at a different spelling patterns to support you to become confident and proficient spellers. This week we are looking at igh sound spelt y
1. Lots of words end with the igh sound spelt y. Here is a little rhyme to help you remember. If the end of a word sounds like igh, It is almost always spelt with a y.
2. Dot and dash the graphemes in the words on spelling activity sheet 2. Watch the videos to help you find out more about dots and dashes (sound buttons).
3. Suffixes have been added to root words. Look at the root words and suffixes. Complete activity 3 by finding the root words. Watch the video to find out more about suffixes.
4. Create your own word search using the words you have been learning this week. Watch the video of Miss Perrett who will show you how to do this. There is a blank word search box below for you to use.
5. Practising writing these high frequency words by using the look, cover, write, check sheet below. Spelling Activity 5 Sheet
another, book, inside, keep, live, never, over, round, these, work
You can practise learning your spellings in different way;
- Write them in sprinkled flour
- Use chalk and write them on a path
- Use finger paints
- Make the letters out of playdough or pasta
- Write the word in large letters – Cut out each letter – Mix the letters up – Then put the letters back in the correct order
Once you have learnt the spellings, use the words to create your own interesting sentences.
This week our focus is on multiplication and looking at groups of objects.
1. Today we will be representing equal groups in different ways. Watch the video and complete activity sheet 1 below. https://vimeo.com/488113679
2. Today we will be using arrays to write addition and multiplication sentences. Watch the video and complete the activity sheet 2 below. https://vimeo.com/490417143
3. Today we will be recalling doubles and halves. Watch the video and complete activity sheet 3 below. https://vimeo.com/490420115
4. We will be solving problems using the 2x table. Watch the video and complete activity sheet 4 below. https://vimeo.com/490420447
5. Complete the maths challenges at the bottom of the page. How quickly can you do them? Remember to record your time ready for next week’s challenges.
Floating and Sinking- Watch the video below to find out more about floating and sinking! After you have watched the video try to make a boat of your own that floats.
This week we will be creating our own Titanic fact card. Use the fact collecting sheet below to collect your facts on and then write them up neatly in full sentences on the Titanic fact card sheet. Below are video links to help you with your research.